A home of its own would give the Port St. Lucie Historical Society the chance to grow, to display, to share as the city moves forward from its past. In 2013, the Society will be working with the city to find such a home.
We can use your support. First,with your encourgagment to preserve the city's past. Financial support through membership and donations will help turn this into an educational historical archive for the public. As we grow and broaden our services, volunteers will be needed.
In 2011, a small group of Society volunteers partnered with the City in the huge week-long celebration of Port St. Lucie's 50th anniversary. The Society produced the book "Port St. Lucie at 50: A City for All People," numerous anniversary week events and the award-winning docu-drama "A City Within a Dream" with original music that also won awards. For a video presentation of 2011's events, click this link.
Gatherings are held for members to share memories, and the web site is updated regularly. We continue to evaluate the masses of materials we have received and enter historically significant items in our digital archives. We work with a software program used by most small museums in the country.
STUDY ON BOTANICAL GARDENS HISTORY AND EFFECTS ADDED TO ARCHIVES
The Port St. Lucie Botanical Gardens sits on a beautiful, historic and environmentally rich stretch of the North Fork of the St. Lucie River. The PSL Historical Society is delighted to have received a detailed study of the this property in the form of a series of researched and footnoted reports by Port St. Lucie Police Chief John Bolduc. They are part of a Public Planning and Growth Management Course he completed at Barry University. Click here for more information.
In progress ...
- Work with the City to obtain a place to house archives, displays and meetings
- Growing our membership and volunteer base
- Planning more gatherings to share more memories
- Increasing and improving our archives
- Striving to live up to our mission
- Continuing to cooperate with other community organizations
- Sharing through sales of our history book, "City of Dreams" DVD and audio CD
In the future ...
- Meet the challenge of acquiring necessary funds to develop the Port St. Lucie Historical Museum, a permanent home for archives and displays the public can visit
- Recruit and train volunteers to share history with the public through researching archives and creating displays
- Form a Speakers Bureau knowledgeable about various segments of our past